Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Refractories

Refractories

Refractories are materials that can withstand high temperatures without softening or deformation in shape. Refractories are mainly used for construction of lining in furnaces, kilns, converters, etc. The main function of a refractory is to withstand and maintain high temperatures and to resist the abrasive and corrosive action of molten metals, slags and gases.

Objective of a refractory
The main objective of a refractory is to resist heat losses and also to resist the abrasive and corrosive action of molten metals, slags and gases at higher temperatures, without softening or deformation in shape.

Uses of Refractories

1. Refractories are mostly used for the construction of the lining of the furnaces, tanks, converters, kilns, crucibles, ladles, etc.

2. They are employed for the manufacture of cement, glass, ceramics, paper, metals (both ferrous and non-ferrous ), etc.

Characteristics or requisites of a good refractory

(i) It should be infusible at the operating temperatures.
(ii) It nshould be chemically inert towards the corrosive gases, metallic slags and liquids.
(iii) It should resist the abrading action of flue gases, flames, etc.
(iv) It should not crack and suffer loss in size, at the operating temperatures.
(v) It should expand and contract uniformly, with temperature rise and fall respectively.
(vi) It should be able to withstand overlying load of structures, at operating temperatures.
(vii) It should have high refractoriness.

Classification of refractories

Refractories are classified in the following two ways
According to their chemical properties.
According to their refractoriness
.

I. According to their chemical properties
According to the chemical properties, refractories are classified into three main types
Examples (i) Silicon (i) Magnesite (i) Graphite
(ii) Alumina (ii) Dolomite (ii) Carborundum

1. Acidic Refractories
Acidic refractories consists of acidic materials loke alumina(al203) and
Silica (SiO2). They are not attacked by acidic materials, but easily attacked by
basic materials.
Example:
Silica, alumina, fire clay refractories.

2. Basic Refractories
Basic Refractories consist of basic materials like Ca02, Mgo, etc. They are
not attacked by basic materials, but are easily attacked by acidic materials.
Example:
Magnesite, Dolamite refractories.

3. Neutral Refractories
Neutral refractories are made from weakly acidic and basic materials like Carbon, Chromite, Zirconia, etc. They are not attacked by both acidic and basic materials.
Example:
Graphite, Chromite, Zirconia, Carborundum refractories.

II. According to their refractoriness
According to the refractoriness, refractories are classified into four types.
Type of Refractories with PCE value
Example
1. Low heat duty refractories
2. Intermediate heat duty refractories
3. High heat duty refractories
4. Super heat duty refractories

4 comments:

  1. Your post is very informative. Like other readers of this blog, I also get details information about high temperature insulation. Thanks for share your most valuable information with all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to share a testimony on how Le_Meridian funding service helped me with loan of 2,000,000.00 USD to finance my marijuana farm project , I'm very grateful and i promised to share this legit funding company to anyone looking for way to expand his or her business project.the company is UK/USA funding company. Anyone seeking for finance support should contact them on lfdsloans@outlook.com Or lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com Mr Benjamin is also on whatsapp 1-989-394-3740 to make things easy for any applicant. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. EVERYBODY READ THIS TESTIMONY ON HOW I GOT MY LOAN FROM A LEGIT AND TRUSTED LOAN COMPANY My name is Kjerstin Lis, I have been searching for a loan to settle my debts, everyone I met scammed and took my money until I finally met Mr, Benjamin Breil Lee He was able to give me a loan of R 450,000.00.He also helped some other colleagues of mine. i am talking as the happiest person in the whole wide world today and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will tell the name to the whole wide world and i am so happy to say that my family is back for good because i was in need a loan to start my life all over as i am a single mum with 3 kids and the whole world seemed like it was hanging on me until i meant the GOD sent loan lender that changed my life and that of my family, a GOD fearing lender, Mr, Benjamin, he was the Savior GOD sent to rescue my family and at first i thought it was not going to be possible until i received my loan, i invited him over to my family get-together party which he did not decline and i will advise any one who is in genuine need of a loan to contact Mr, Benjamin Breil Lee via email at (lfdsloans@outlook.com ) because he is the most understanding and kind hearten lender I have ever met with a caring heart. He doesn't know that i am doing this by spreading his goodwill towards me but I feel I should share this with you all to free yourself from scammers, please beware of impersonators and contact the right loan company Email us via: lfdsloans@outlook.com   or whatsapp +1-989-394-3740.  .  

    ReplyDelete